Chain Store Age 'Retail Store of the
First Prize in Single Unit Category
Designers Institute of British Columbia
Gifts of the Raven Retail Store
Vancouver International Airport
To create a retail facility to display authentic native art in a museum
like setting, taking advantage of a prime airport location.
Create a space that is sensitive to the location at the centre of the
YVR International Terminal. The new store needed to be created in such
a way as to not block views to the surrounding base building art while
at the same time providing the best possible backdrop for the high end
native art pieces that the store sells. The store also needed to be attractive
to travelers in the airport after hours.
To meet these challenges, a very unique solution was created including:
- laying out the space in an ellipse to create the enclosure
when the store is closed
- minimizing the size of the daytime enclosure for the
security grille so that the store is as transparent as possible
- enclosing the structural steel creating 'totems' to
highlight the merchandise even when the store is closed
- use of natural, indigenous materials throughout.
- creating flexible, mobile display units for ever-changing
merchandise as well as to easily move everything within the ellipse
when the store is closed.
- retaining a local native artist to create the 'Raven'
panels for the feature millwork.
- working with a lighting designer to design dramatic
ways of lighting the merchandise taking into account it's sensitivity
to heat and ultraviolet rays.
- sensitivity to accessibility issues
Construction & Millwork Ltd.
Michael Carpenter Photography